Forms & Applications

Absent Voter Ballots

If you want to have a ballot mailed, make your request early to allow for delivery time. A voter eligible to vote by absent voter ballot may also vote in person at the clerk’s office anytime up to the day before the election. All absent voter ballots must be received by the clerk not later than 8 p.m. on election day. Please mail application to Benton Township Clerk, 5012 Orchard Beach Road, Cheboygan, MI 49721. If you have questions please call Benton Township Clerk at office (231) 625-9176 ext 10.

Absentee Ballots are available by contacting the Township Clerk or download application here.

Homestead Exemptions

The Homeower’s Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit allows you to claim an exemption on your home which will lower your school tax bill.  For you to be eligible for this exemption, you must own and occupy our house as your legal principal residence by May 1 of each year.  You may only claim on house as your principal residence.

Parcel Divisions

Land Division Act P.A. 591

  1. All applications will be picked up at the Benton Township Hall, as an attachment to this web page, or mailed to the applicant upon request.
  2. Approval of application will be scheduled at the regular board monthly meeting.
  3. Special meetings are an option and arrangement can be made with the Township Supervisor.
  4. Application can be accepted at Township meeting but not approved at that time. ( The Board must have time to review the material)
  5. Completed application should be filed at least (7) days prior to a monthly meeting.
  6. A copy of the recorded document of the split must be sent to the Township at least (90) days after the split is made.

Deferment of Summer Taxes

Summer taxes may be deferred until February 14th. To qualify for this deferment a household income cannot exceed $35,000. The applicant must also be 62 years of age or older, paraplegic, quadriplegic, eligible service person, veteran, widow or widower, blind, or totally and permanently disabled. Additionally, those that farm agricultural real property may also qualify.

Please call the Treasurer’s Office (231) 625-9176 extension 11.

Assessor Information

Freedom of information Act

Poverty Exemption Guideline & Form

Blight Ordinance